Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Half a Century ?

O.K this is it! I have reached the end of my forties! As of Saturday I will be officially a half century old.

Let’s see, in the first part of this half century I’ve seen a few changes like, I remember back through the past forty years and think of things that aren’t around anymore like block ice, freezers had to defrosted, Cloth diapers, glass baby bottles, swamp coolers instead of A/C Units, black and white TV’s, TV’s didn’t have remotes, cola in glass bottles, selling glass bottles for a nickel, manual type writers, hand pull adding machines, manual can openers, beer can openers, oil can openers, filling station attendants, carbon paper, 8 track players, record players, pay phones in phone booths, station wagons, Goodtime Vans, Disco music, Metal roller skates with a key, Metal lunch boxes, Pet Rocks, Mood Rings, Rubik’s Cube, Roller Blades, Lava Lamps, Streaking, Earth Shoes, Clogs, Leisure Suits, Platform Shoes, Troll Dolls, Mini Skirts, Bell Bottoms, Hot Pants, String Bikini, Go-Go Boots, Rabbit Coats, Hippies, Cabbage Patch, Hip Huggers, Beanie Babies, Drive-In Theaters, Muscle Cars, Tie-Die, Shag Carpet, TV & Stereo Consoles the list goes on and on.

Wow! That was a real trip down memory lane for me. LOL! I look forward to having many more birthdays and looking back down memory lane with each one of them.

The old saying is right, “ The older you get, the faster it goes”. I’ve got to get up and moving so we can hit the road soon.

13 comments:

  1. Haven't you heard?? 50 is the new 30, 60 is the new 40, 70 is the new 50...and, God willing, 80 is the brand new 50!! Dennis is 68, which makes him 48, if I'm doing the math right...And we have a 95 year old Aunt, married to her 87 year old husband...So, they are only 65 and 57(and act like it)...So, sit back, have a cocktail ( if you like)..and raise you glass to your new age..THIRTY!!!
    HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY...LIVE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW!!!!
    Oh...I meant to ask about your son..how is he??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, at least for today you're the YOUNGEST 50 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Some of us wish we could go back to just half a century. I sometimes wonder why things I have used regularly in the past now are in museums. That cannot be a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I am back to the freezer that has to be defrosted (RV freezers can be like that) maybe that means I'm not 50 yet. NOT! oh well, it was a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cheers to the next half a century!!..have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the "half-century" mark. I remember mine and it was a milestone for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EVERY DAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF OUR LIVES,LIVE IT AT FULL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May the next half century be even better than the first half century.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's my birthday today too. Enjoy your special day. I liked reading about all the changes. It brought back quite a few happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 50th on Saturday!! Hang on because it does go faster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait up! I'll be there in May - save me a spot. Have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I never equate 50 years old as half-a-century before, it does sound like a mile-stone!

    Happy birthday on Saturday! Enjoy your last hours being 49!

    ReplyDelete