Friday, September 11, 2009

Mom and Cancer

This has been a very busy couple of months. We found out on August 4, 2009 that Mom has Breast Cancer. It is muninous carcinomia of the breast. Due to the fact she didn't have health insurance she had put off going to the doctor for a couple of years. Yes, that is right, she was aware of this lump for a couple of years.
She finally agreed to see a doctor once she turned sixty-five and was eligible for medicare.

She had a mammogram done. We were told at the time it was most likely cancer. She was scheduled for a biopsy a few days later and it was confirmed. She had a golf ball size muninous carcinomia tumor. This is a rare type of breast cancer.

We didn't know what to do next, so we contacted the family doctor for a referral to a cancer surgeon. They were very quick to make the appointment and we were in the surgeons office within a few days.

We had no idea what we were doing. We just prayed that the good Lord would look after us and lead us in the right direction. Lead us he did.

We met the doctor that our family doctor had referred us to and found out he was an oncologist, not a surgeon. What! Not the surgeon! He did however, make us an appointment with a Breast Cancer Surgeon.

The following week we were at the surgeons office. He explained what he thought the best course of action was and made appointments for several test such as MRI, PET Scans, blood work and an appointment with the oncologist to schedule the chemotherapy. The surgeon explained that she needed chemo in order to shrink the tumor before the surgery.

A few days later we were in the office of the oncologist. After his examination he decided to consult with the surgeon. He ran downstairs to talk with the surgeon, while we had blood work done. They were in agreement that the surgery needed to come first. One of the concerns they both had was it appeared the cancer had also entered the breast tissue. This lump was protruding and looked as if it would rupture any moment.

We were told to that the surgery would be schedule once the PET Scan results were back.

A few days later we were getting the PET Scan done. Mother doesn't like needles and didn't like getting the contrast IV. The PET Scan itself wasn't bad.

A week later we were in the surgeons office being told the PET Scan results were good and that there appeared to be no other cancer. Surgery was scheduled for the following morning. The following morning!!!!!!!! Mom was in shock. She is ready to get rid of the cancer but completely unprepared for surgery so soon.

We ran home to get Mom packed. We needed to pack a bag for the hospital. We needed to pack a bag for here after surgery care at my house and we needed to get her house ready for my step father to handle by himself.

My sister stayed the night to help mom prepare. The doctor had ordered a contrast injection for first thing the following morning. The injections had to be done two hours before surgery. It was something to do with the lymph nodes.