Wednesday, May 19, 2010

One Box at a Time

My Mother called and was excited to announce that she was released by her radiologist today. That is great news! The doctor said she was healing great and he would not need to see her again and unless something new developed.

I was surfing the internet today and discovered a wonderful website. It is full of interesting and helpful tips on things that will help you prepare your house before putting it on the market. It has hints for staging, curb appeal and how to pick the best realtor. It is very informative. www.frontdoor.com

I guess I might be getting a little ahead of myself! We still have a lot that we need to do before we can put the house on the market. I am just getting pumped! We have moved more items to the garage for our next sell. We have added some more furniture and other odds and inns. The weatherman is predicting good weather for Saturday so we are looking forward to another sale. This week we sold the picket fence panels to some friends and another friend wants to buy all the T-post we have.

Dawn has been trying to go through at least one box a day and yesterday it really paid off. One old box of STUFF she came across some treasures. She found her opal and diamond ring with matching necklace that her Mother bought her for her high school graduation. She also found a ruby necklace she hadn’t seen in years. This is one of the reasons that we have to go through each and every box with a fine tooth comb!

Dawn and I were talking about all the STUFF we have and she made a very interesting point. It took her parents fifty years to accumulate all their STUFF and we have had seventeen years of accumulated STUFF and that adds up to sixty-seven years of STUFF, so of course we will not be able to get rid of it as fast as we would like. It will take time but, we will get rid of it and we will live a life with very little STUFF and more than likely be happier. I believe she may be onto something!!!!!!

I look at all this STUFF with great wonderment, I don’t have all the trinkets and STUFF that Dawn has. Dawn was an only child and her Mother saved many of Dawn’s childhood things. My Mother raised three girls and we wore hand-me-downs. By the time the youngest was finished with an item, it was well worn and not worth keeping. She didn’t save our childhood STUFF like toys, baby clothes, school drawings and that sort of STUFF. She gave us our childhood photo albums and baby books. I realize how grateful I am that I have long departed from all the childhood STUFF and don’t have to deal with it now. It has been fun going through the boxes and finding old baby items. We laugh about how different things are now. We have found baby bottles, toddler toys, paper dolls, coloring books, baby shoes and dresses. We laugh at old school pictures, drawings and love letters written in grade school. It has been fun and a burden but we are getting through it a box at a time!