Thursday, August 5, 2010

On a Roll

We are on a roll. We visited our local Lowe's Hardware yesterday and low and behold they were stocking. That means they had a lot of small boxes that were heading for the compactor. I asked if we could have some of the boxes and they told us to help ourselves. We did! We had a buggy full of small boxes in no time. This is very exciting for me. We now have small boxes to pack expensive china in.

Dawn has decided she wants to keep both sets of her mother's china. We want to pack the china in small boxes and then place the small boxes into plastic totes. This is a preventive way to keep down the possibility of damaging the china when it's moved.

As soon as we got home we started packing the china in the small boxes. The small boxes really worked out great. The boxes are not to heavy and we stuffed them full of shredded paper. We now have all the china boxed and put into our make shift storage area. We are currently using a spare walk-in closet as a storage room.

As soon as my son moves his STUFF out we will be using that bedroom for a storage area too. It is the smallest of the three bedroom. We want to make sure that everything we are keeping will fit into an area no larger than 10x12. We think we can stack it to the ceiling!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Many full-timers don't keep anything but I found that I had some things that I just didn't want to get rid of. Our son (only child) is 25 and single so he wasn't interested in many of the family pieces. I kept my china and my moms china, crystal and silver. I also kept some pieces of furniture (family heirlooms) and such. We have a climate controlled storage room that is 10x15 that is only $90 a month. I felt like that was better for me at this point. If our son should get married they may or may not want some of the stuff. I also may continue to do some purging from this point too. Of course we did rid ourselves of the clutter and junk.
    I kept a few things that I actually went back and brought to the motorhome because I found I could use it after all.
    Glad you found some small boxes....thats great. It seems boxes are hard to find these days. Small is great because they don't get too heavy. You ARE on a roll. :-)

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is passing out her mother's china to the 5 girls. I guess the 2 boys get some of my tools when we leave. It is exciting but I'm ready to roll :>)
    wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been traveling with my crystal & china for 6 yrs now ! I bubble wrapped it & stored it all in the padded "china keepers" that you can get at Bed Bath & Beyond. Then I stored it in the back of our cabinets in the kitchen & in the bedroom. We've traveled to Alaska & worse yet...across I-10 several times. So far, knock on wood, nothing has broken.

    ReplyDelete